sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Spellfoster

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Spellfoster
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:10:15 +0300

Jaka Kranjc wrote:
| On Tuesday 01 of April 2008 00:25:04 Ismael Luceno wrote:
|> Hi again people!
|>
|> I've written a new script, this time I'm almost sure there's nothing
|> like this in sorcery :P.
|>
|> Spellfoster is inspired in debfoster, a debian tool that makes removal
|> of unwanted applications a trivial task :). It's almost finished, so
|> take it a look ;)
| If you clean this up to sorcery standards, it can go into dispel. :)
|
| For safety, you should also include the "sustained" list of spells in the
| keeplist. If someone wants to ignore that precaution, there is already an
| option for dispel to skip it.
| And a query after selecting the keeplist asking if the user really
wants to
| continue with dispeling the unselect spells: (list).
|
| A feature request: there should be an additional custom keeplist (and
| mechanics for manipulating it), which would always be included into the
| generated one. That way you wouldn't always have to be careful to select
| gemrb or any other spells that are legitimatelly orphans on your system.

IMHO Sorcery would benefit from an additional category for installed
spells besides orphan, non-orphan, and held. It's implemented in Debian
already (used by 'apt-get autoremove').

In SMGL, it would work like this:

1) User casts ardour2, which pulls in jack as a dependency. When jack is
installed, it's marked as "auto-installed" in some list.

2) User dispels ardour2, and dispel prompts the user to remove jack as
it is now an orphan and marked as "auto-installed" (i.e. not
specifically requested). Dispel may even automatically remove jack, if
this is configured as default behavior.

3) User casts ardour2 again, and jack is again pulled in as an
"auto-installed" dependency. After this, the user wants to use jack for
coding his own audio app. He can request sorcery to remove the
"auto-installed" tag, e.g. 'sorcery icanhas jack' (OK, badly chosen
option name there).

4) User can do what any Debian user nowadays can: dispel autoremove. It
will weed out every auto-installed orphan, theoretically leaving every
"wanted" spell in place.

Something like this could possibly make automatic pruning of unused
spells much nicer. The fault with orphans has always been that it
doesn't discriminate between pulled-in dependencies and spells which are
specifically cast (i.e. many useful front-end programs are always
orphans according to this logic).

Juuso