sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Re : Re : boot from usb key

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Geoffroy GIRAUX <geogiraux AT yahoo.fr>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Re : Re : boot from usb key
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:02:07 +0000 (GMT)

----- Message d'origine ----
De : Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
À : sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
Envoyé le : Jeudi, 7 Février 2008, 8h57mn 29s
Objet : Re: [SM-Discuss] Re : boot from usb key

Am
Wed,
6
Feb
2008
19:45:38
-0800
schrieb
Eric
Sandall
<eric AT sandall.us>:

Geoffroy:

#
boot-from
/dev/sda
(I'm
sure
about
the
name
of
the
usb
device)

#
exit

Attempting
boot
from
/dev/sda...

Unable
mount
/dev/sda
as
iso9660,
retrying
with
type
auto

I've
never
tried
booting
from
USB
stick,
but
perhaps
you
need
set
the

boot
flag
on
the
partition
you're
trying
boot
from?

Hm...
/dev/sda
doesn't
look
like
partition
me...
looks
more
like
the
dammed
whole
device
(i.e.
superfloppy
format)
;-)
once
booted
from
an
USB
stick...
or
twice.
What
easily
works
is
copying
floppy
image
straight
the
thing
and
boot
it
like
floppy
-
with
the
same
mere
1.44M
space.
Also
had
SLAX
up
while
ago...
before
decided
that
it's
easier
get
Linux
onto
my
laptop
via
network
boot;-)

But
since
you
got
the
kernel
up
already,
the
hard
part
should
be
over...
so,
do
you
have
partitions
on
/dev/sda
and
may
your
root
device
be
actually
/dev/sda1?

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I've been one step further... but nothing else !

My root device is actually /dev/sda2. So I downloaded the latest ISO and
tried to boot from my usb key (3 partitions) without any other drives. And
here's the results :
bash-3.2# boot-from /dev/sda2
bash-3.2# exit
Attempting to boot from /dev/sda2
[timing] Unable to identify CD ROM format
mount: wrong fs type, bad option bad superblock on /dev/sda2, missing
codepage or other error
Unable to mount /dev/sda2 as iso9660, retrying with type auto
[timing] EXT2-fs warning : mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is
recommended
mount: /dev/sda2 already mounted or /mnt/cdrom/mnt/cdrom busy
Setting up writeable /dev for the udevness
/mnt/cdrom/bin/cp cannot stat 'dev' : No such file or directory
Setting up /tmp for install
/mnt/cdrom/bin/cp cannot stat 'tmp' : No such file or directory

[...]
umount: /mnt/cdrom/mnt/cdrom : not mounted
Running /sbin/init
mount: devfs has wrong device number or fs type devfs not supported
/sbin/init: line 149: dev/console: No such file or directory
Trning to find the SMGL CD automatically

[...]
bash-3.2#

AFAIK, the mount doesn't seem to go smoothly. When I type mount at the bash
prompt, I get :
rootfs on / type roots
/dev/root on /initrd type ext2
/dev/sda2 on / type ext2
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs
tmpfs on /etc type tmpfs
tmpfs on /root type tmpfs
tmpfs on /var/log type tmpfs

tmpfs on /var/lib/nfs type tmpfs

proc on /proc type proc
bash-3.2#

I don't have any specific message in dmesg. To me, the problem is linked to
the line with the "busy" part. But I don't know what to check or to do !

Please help

GeO

http://mail.yahoo.fr