sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Re : boot from usb key

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Re : boot from usb key
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 19:45:38 -0800

On Wednesday 06 February 2008 17:37:45 Geoffroy GIRAUX wrote:
<snip>
> Hello,
>

> Thanks for answering
>
> First of all, sorry for my first mail which I had to send again to this
> list as it was being held. I don't know exactly what happened, but
> Yahoo cut it that way when forwarding...
>

> I'm still having the problem with the usb boot. As far as I
> can see, the vfat support *is* included in the kernel from the devel
> iso. I did as sandalle suggested (following this howto :
> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2132615,00.asp), but it
> still complains it cannot find the CD ROM files :
>
> # boot-from /dev/sda (I'm sure about the name of the usb device)
>
> # exit
>
> Attempting to boot from /dev/sda...
>
> [110.3440000] Unable to identify CD-ROM format
>
> mount : wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda, missing
> codepage or other error
>
> Unable to mount /dev/sda as iso9660, retrying with type auto
>
> [110.420000] FAT : invalid media value (0x06)
>
> [110.420000] VFS : can't find a valid fat filesystem on dev sda
>
> [110.440000] GFS2 : gfs2 mount does not exist
>
> mount : no such file or directory
>
> ERROR : unable to mount /dev/sda even with type auto
>
> Attempting to boot from /dev/sda...
>

> and it goes again and again... until I reboot or halt the box
>

> Do you have any idea ? an incorrect partitionning ? a missing option ?
> Please help me !

I've never tried booting from a USB stick, but perhaps you need to set the
boot flag on the partition you're trying to boot from?

# echo "a
1
" | fdisk /dev/sda

Would mark /dev/sda1 (assuming your Linux setup is on the first partition) as
bootable.

One of the items from your log might shed light on this:
[110.420000] FAT : invalid media value (0x06)

What format is the partition you're trying to boot from?

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285