sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Idea for keywords in grimoires

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Idea for keywords in grimoires
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 12:14:10 -0500

This is just an idea I had, so I don't mind if it gets completely shot
down, or if it sounds good but would be too much of a pita to implement
;).

It seems that a lot of people are for the use of keywords, and that they
in fact already exist in the grimoires. There is some argument as to
which keywords should be used (though not much), but also some things
have been floating around about getting rid of the sections in the
grimoires because they aren't always as accessible to users, etc.

My idea came when I was observing the grimoires themselves. We have
local grimoires, where the user can completely customize everything.
This is a great idea, and allows us to have a lot more flexibility than
some other distros with ease. Why not local keywords? We can keep all
the sections the same, and with local keywords the user can group things
any way they like superficially. I'm not sure how much extra work would
be required to actually get something usable out of this, but if it is
doable it would defeat the problem of no categorization truly being
liked by all. It might also help with enabling "personalized"
maintainer sections while keeping the sections we have now.

As I currently understand things, this would involve coding in new
options mainly to gaze, but possibly some additions to sorcery (not
sure), and new options to scribe/scribbler. I'm also not sure how
indexing should be handled (i.e. for more efficient handling, should
there be a regular grimoire index for the sections, as well as a
separate index for any local keywords the user might have?).

If this is a silly idea, someone say so and then ignore this :). I just
thought this might be like having a dynamic tagged system overtop of a stable,
static structure, which would hopefully bring the best of both worlds.
Also, I think if we managed to implement something like this we would be
the first distro to allow users to tag their own package db...

--
Justin "flux" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage