sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] ifupdown ready for primetime

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] ifupdown ready for primetime
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:44:58 -0600

I feel this is ready. I've done extensive testing (Yay for Xen virtual
machines :D).

Starting from a bare system (I had nfs-utils and openssh installed to
make things easier for me) just casting net-tools, which has had its
PATCHLEVEL increased. Which means it'll show up in sorcery queue, and
that you'll get the changes as soon as you update the spell, either by
patch or when it gets into test.

The cast of net-tools stops and asks you if you really want to do this,
and it will ask you every time, until you install ifupdown. But ifupdown
won't let you try to cast it until you've installed the latest of
net-tools. This forces the caster to do net-tools first, which is the
only upgrade path. net-tools installs it's own ifup and ifdown, both of
which have to be removed before a successful installation of ifupdown
can happen.

So you must cast net-tools. When you do say Y to the "i've got time"
question, it triggers a cast_self on ifupdown, which ensures that you do
have a network init script that's the correct one and that ifup and
ifdown are installed. This is an excellent upgrade path. net-tools is
updated, and immediately afterward, ifupdown is installed.

On subsequent casts, there aren't any questions and they behave as good
little spells should.

Once this stuff filters down into test, we can remove the PREPARE and
UP_TRIGGERS files so that we have less logic to deal with.

I've attached a patch. Bzip'd so that it wouldn't be 20k.

Also:

git clone http://shlrm.org/repos/grimoire/.git grimoire

Will give you the thing. It's a clone of our grimoire, so to expedite it
you can do (and I would prefer it, as it would take far less time and
save on my bandwidth, it'll reuse packs from the referenced repo)

git clone --reference /path/to/your/current/repo
http://shlrm.org/repos/grimoire/.git newrepo

Then you need to acquire the remote branch ifupdown

git checkout --track -b <local name> origin/ifupdown

That should get you the commits I've made.

I plan on pushing to the test grimoire once I get a few nods off on
this, or after a few days. This is not a small thing (or I don't think
it is.) I'd almost force an issue vote if I thought anyone really cared
about it. But I don't think people are going to do anything until
something breaks, so I'm going to assume your silent consent.

This is it. Speak up and let me know what you think about this. Also,
give it a shot and make sure that I didn't miss something.

--
David Kowis
| www.ronpaul2008.com | www.sourcemage.org |