sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Commit] GIT changes to master grimoire by Ladislav Hagara (92f4785ef92d6368dfa5978e111986455163fc11)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Commit] GIT changes to master grimoire by Ladislav Hagara (92f4785ef92d6368dfa5978e111986455163fc11)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:54:07 -0600

Quoting "Dale E. Edmons" <demaillists AT comcast.net>:

Hey again,

Bug 13428 (& 13512 ?) addresses the fact that there are multiple
versions of kill. Several have pointed to the one in procps, including
util-linux-ng which comes from kernel.org. I looked at the procps spell
and we prevent it's kill from installing. My choices would be to use
the one in procps by deleting the SKIP line for kill.

Thanks for doing the research on this. I ran into the problem right before going to bed.
I was unaware that bash had a kill builtin.

The problem I ran into:
Initng uses /bin/kill to do some things, because it's supposedly faster than just letting it search the paths. (I'm not here to argue the point of speed or not)
And so, since it needs /bin/kill and there wasn't any /bin/kill I was somewhat concerned. An easy fix is also to just use the builtin. I should submit a bug to the initng people so they know about this, and can code around it.

I agree that the procps kill would be a good idear now ;)

--
David Kowis
| www.ronpaul2008.com | www.sourcemage.org |