sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Pythonic revolution

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Pythonic revolution
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 00:50:24 +0100

> All this time we had such real bug: python compiles
> every module and saves it in its install log
> and in the package. That's because our system doesn't
> use FAKE installations to the fake dir
> (for example like in OpenBSD ports system), so then
> we must expect such problems.. and here
> you are.. Pythonic one :)

Normally, we have a system to handle exactly such cases.
It's true that INSTALL is not staged, but simply anything it
touches is considered part of the spell and put into the install
log and archive.
There's a second, less-common stage of the install, called FINAL.
This one is supposed to do any fiddling and installing that is
supposed to not be in the install log or archive.

What's keeping us from doing this pyc/pyo recompile in FINAL?
Would mean a lot less dispelling and recasting, for sure, and
would mean people would still be able to use their old python
apps while python is building.

The python'ish spells would probably also have to create their
pyc/pyo in FINAL and POST_RESURRECT, so they don't show up as
bad on a cleanse and stuff.

So Far,
Karsten

  • Re: [SM-Discuss] Pythonic revolution, Karsten Behrmann, 01/02/2008