sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] gnupg 1.4.8 is stricter

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] gnupg 1.4.8 is stricter
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:02:06 -0800

On Friday 21 December 2007 08:11:06 Jaka Kranjc wrote:
> Baro complained that findutils and some other spells (ghostscript-fonts-std
> and ghostscript-fonts-other) suddenly fail their source verification. It
> was nailed down to yesterday's update of gnupg. From their changelog [0];
<snip>

Personally, I would prefer we go with the "strict" option, but then
that "breaks" keys which used to work. Since it's an easy fix for fixing the
key[0] I would like us to be good netizens and continue with the new
strictness and, politely, inform the key authors.

-sandalle

[0] If you have been pointed to this page by someone who received a warning
when verifying one of your signatures, your key does not contain a subkey
cross-certification. You can easily add this cross-certification using GnuPG
1.4.3 or later. To do this, simply run "gpg --edit-key (yourkey)" and then
enter "cross-certify". You'll need to type your passphrase, and GnuPG will
add the necessary cross-certification. Once this is done, you should
distribute your key however you like (send it to a keyserver, post on a web
page, etc). If you have already done this and people are still receiving the
warning, make sure they have updated their copy of your key from the
keyserver or web page.

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285