sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Disable DPMS permenantly

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Disable DPMS permenantly
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 20:10:31 -0800

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 16:42:04 -0500
Matthew Clark <matthewclark AT inlesserterms.net> wrote:

> I know this isn't SMGL-specific, but I can't seem to find an answer
> anywhere and figured some of you veterans might have a quick answer.
>
> My current xorg/kde setup seems to have DPMS enabled, as shown when
> executing `xset q`. A simple `xset -dpms` solves my problem. But
> what's annoying is how DPMS is ALWAYS enabled when X is started, and
> I can't seem to find where the setting is. So every time I start X,
> I have to launch a console and disable DPMS, and it's really getting
> on my nerves.
>
> The DPMS option in my xorg.conf is commented out. If there's
> another DPMS setting somewhere, I can't find it -- I've scoured my
> system for configuration files.
>
> Any ideas? I know it must be something simple, but evidently I need
> a hint :)
>

> - Matt

Tried the following in /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
Section "Monitor"
Option "NoDPMS"
EndSection

That may be incorrect (I haven't tried it), but mine says:
Section "Monitor"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

so that's what I'm basing it on. ;)

Also, in KDE's Control Center you may turn off DPMS for your monitor,
or run `xset -dpms` in ~/.xsessions, though I'm not sure if KDE runs
that script. You could set a KDE script to run at login.

-sandalle