sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Server Woes

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Server Woes
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 13:05:55 -0500

Most of you have probably noticed our web site and git server is down and
has been a few times lately. There's apparently a hardware problem
developing that keeps taking it down. Of course it keeps doing this on the
weekends when the datacenter doesn't have staff on site and wants to charge
me to bring it back up. Our codex and other file downloads are not
affected.

Most of you also know I want off this datacenter (for the above as well as
other reasons) and have another one I work with that's better, though it
does less dedicated servers and more colocated ones. I do have a dedicated
box in there that's not doing anything; it's provisioned for another
project but I paid for it so I can do with it what I want. I don't
remember the exact specs but it's comparable to the one we have now.

So, I'm going to do a couple things. I have a call into the datacenter to
get the current box back up again. The guy I've been working with on the
outages this weekend is more competant than the others I've talked to and
has an interest in fixing the problem, so I have some hope he'll be able to
resolve the hardware issue starting Monday as well.

But I'm also going to start getting the box in the other datacenter built
up how we need it so I can get us migrated ASAP. I already moved the
billing of the current box from yearly to monthly (thanks to all your
generosity on the fundable that was an option) so I can cancel it as soon
as we're moved.

I will also get the high bandwidth download mirror prepped to act as some
kind of content mirror for any interim outages, including any to fix the
hardware problem. I'm not necessarily going to get drupal mirroring or
bidirectional git syncing going or anything like that but I'll try to make
it so we don't have to just be down.

  • [SM-Discuss] Server Woes, Jeremy Blosser, 10/28/2007