sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage Apprenticship

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Abh Serechai Belxjander <belxjander_serechai AT yahoo.co.nz>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage Apprenticship
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 20:40:12 +1300

Personally I would run through doing the install
  then work on custom building a kernel based from recent sources within the chroot
  followed by casting those spells on the gaze installed list before adding to it with
  libraries and devices first

  just my 2c :)

Belxjander

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 08:24 +0200, Thomas Orgis wrote:
Am Thu, 18 Oct 2007 17:47:43 -0700
schrieb "D.Edmons" <demaillists AT comcast.net>:
> would like to try Source Mage again, but
> I can't and won't let the machine just with the network
> connected for hours on end.

A solution to the time problem (which is less of a problem the faster
your box is;-) is installing onto a second partition/hard disk.
The initial installation from CD isn't that long; it doesn't have to
compile anything; you can even choose to use the kernel that it ships.
After that you can boot into your usual system again and start
rebuilding sourcemage in the background, in some screen session that
works in the chroot on your second partition/disk.
The initial question/answer session on the rebuild takes time, but it
is the time for your decisions - and it is not hours.

Thing is, you can work like normal in your current system (your wife,
too) and sourcmage can work on the background (re)building all the
stuff from sources.
You can even interrupt that process and start again after the last
successully installed spell.

You can go directly to install into a chroot without going through an
ordinary install, but I guess using the install cd may be easier. Or
not. Actually, I am more accustomed to chroot installs since p.ex. my
laptop doesn't have a CD drive;-)

The important thing is: You have a good deal of people here willing to
help you through that process,
best through IRC.

Alrighty then,

Thomas.