sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Commit] GIT changes to master games grimoire by Thomas Orgis (b5dfe26a41e44da40eb1ea1a782ab1729ddaaf7b)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Commit] GIT changes to master games grimoire by Thomas Orgis (b5dfe26a41e44da40eb1ea1a782ab1729ddaaf7b)
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 10:49:35 +0200

Am Fri, 21 Sep 2007 22:27:49 -0700
schrieb Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>:

> Quoting Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>:
> <snip>
> > I still have to get around the idea of changing history being good
> > (when one makes a better one;-).

> I'm not talking about changing HISTORY files, but for incomplete
> commits to revert the incomplete commit and re-commit with *all* the
> intended changes.

I meant history, not HISTORY. HISTORY is for us puny humans who cannot
read git's database;-)
Changing the history of the repository is what it feels like when
undoing a commit. In subversion there is one line of events, one series
of successive revisions for the whole repository.
I don't change the past there, I just can try to fix it for today.
With git, time gets much more nonlinear, with there being
parallel developments and with the possibility to change some line
of history... hm, but I guess it's actually just one more parallel world
created; a world where the reverted commit didn't happen (but the world
where it did happen still exists?).

One sad thing about me getting accustomed to git (some time), is that on
my new job I'll have to be glad that we use revision control at all...
with CVS!

Alrighty then,

Thomas.