sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] summoning files from google

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Martin Spitzbarth <m.spitzbarth AT gmx.de>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] summoning files from google
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:01:47 +0200

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:15:49 +0200
Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be> wrote:

> summon fails, how to make use of certificates? Or maybe write my own
> DOWNLOAD script?
>

> # summon libjingle
> Downloading source file libjingle-0.4.0.tar.gz
> --11:01:45--
> http://libjingle.googlecode.com/file/libjingle-0.4.0.tar.gz =>

You are downloading from directory file instead of files:
http://libjingle.googlecode.com/files/libjingle-0.4.0.tar.gz
works for me.

<snip>
> Certificate verification error for libjingle.googlecode.com: unable
> to get local issuer certificate To connect to
> libjingle.googlecode.com insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.
> Unable to establish SSL connection.
> Attempting to get file from fall-back mirrors

The issue does not appear with the download url I've given above, but
the correct way would be something like this:

local CERTIFICATE_STORE=/usr/share/curl/curl-ca-bundle.crt
wget --ca-certificate=$CERTIFICATE_STORE $DOWNLOAD_URL

The curl-ca-bunlde.crt is installed with curl and was the curl team got
the certificates from netscape.
Alternatively one can skip the certificate verification completely with
--no-check-certificate, then anyone can claim to be
libjingle.google.com.

In my opinion the clean way would be to
create a spell smgl-ca-certificates and have sorcery call wget with the
--ca-certificate parameter if our certificates are installed. Or maybe
there is a central location for this kind of file that all openssl
programs use by default. I'm no expert with this.

It's just a thought.