sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] subdepends: requesting a specific provider

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <lynx AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] subdepends: requesting a specific provider
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 23:20:01 +0200

I have a spell that needs one of its dependencies built against a specific
provider.

spell A DEPENDS:
depends -sub some_provider7 B

spell B DEPENDS:
depends SOME_PROVIDER

I can't come up with a good way to implement this.
If I just add a some_provider7 dependency then the current one chosen for
SOME_PROVIDER is possibly redundant (and any provider related logic may break
down).

The next suboptimal thing that came to mind was nuking SOME_PROVIDER, adding
all its providers as optional dependencies to B and a note to the user he
needs to select only one. Optional dependencies are nicely togglable, but
this would be a mess.

Then there is something most exotic. B wouldn't depend on SOME_PROVIDER in
DEPENDS. All spells depending on B would subdepend on it not having
some_provider7 (pe. not_some_provider7) as the provider of SOME_PROVIDER. In
this case, B would depend on SOME_PROVIDER (from SUB_DEPENDS). A would
subdepend on B with some_provider7 in which case B would only depend on
some_provider7. But this suggests the two options conflict, which is not
necessarily true, requires a lot of spell changes and it also wouldn't work
with the simple fallback we have for non-devel sorcery users.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Did I miss something blatantly obvious? :D

Something like set_spell_provider would be handy. Or something more general
undepend spells (similarly we can mimic enabling an optional dependency but
not disable it if it doesn't have a flag (afaik)). Yikes!

--
We cannot command nature except by obeying her. --Sir Francis Bacon
Have a sourcerous day! www.sourcemage.org