sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Hey! Stable 0.9 Released!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Hey! Stable 0.9 Released!
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:33:53 -0500

On Apr 16, David Brown [dmlb2000 AT gmail.com] wrote:
> [1] http://dbg.download.sourcemage.org/download/codex/stable-0.9.tar.bz2

All, please avoid handing out the dereferenced mirror URLs in official
mails, IRC support, etc. Consider these the way you would internal sorcery
API function names: they're not meant to be "public", and they're not
guaranteed not to change. We'll keep them as persistent as we can for
people that happen to bookmark them but we can't make guarantees. At some
point we'll probably provide an alternate, non-mirrored way to just browse
the codex online to minimize the chances of people bookmarking mirror URLs.

Also note I went ahead and changed dbg.download.sourcemage.org to root
directly in the download/ directory, so the dbg.download.sourcemage.org and
download.sourcemage.org paths are the same. Hopefully that makes it easier
for you to find paths you can give people without worrying about it; just
strip the leading "dbg.". That won't help for mirrors we don't control
addressing on, like ibiblio.

I know this may be a bit of a foreign concept since we haven't really had
real redundancy before but please try to play along with it, it'll help our
stability and ability to point people at things that should always be
available.

So, good to hand out:
http://codex.sourcemage.org/stable-0.9.tar.bz2
http://download.sourcemage.org/codex/stable-0.9.tar.bz2
http://download.sourcemage.org/grimoire/codex/stable-0.9.tar.bz2
(all the same thing)

Bad to hand out, even though they all work right now:
http://dbg.download.sourcemage.org/codex/
http://ibiblio.download.sourcemage.org/pub/linux/distributions/sourcemage/codex/
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/sourcemage/codex/