sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] new grimoire lead todo

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] new grimoire lead todo
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:38:52 -0700

On Monday 26 March 2007 15:16:43 Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> Eric, these are the main things I need from you ASAP, in order:
>
> 1) Schedule and plan for the 0.9 grimoire release.
>
> I know you don't take the chair until the 1st but I want this decided
> and announced ahead of then to avoid too long of a break between
> releases. *If this isn't decided by the 1st, I'll cut the -rc branch
> then and solicit a volunteer to drive the release as we have done for
> the last 3 releases.* I would rather you find the volunteer / do it
> yourself / set the timeline / change the plan entirely / etc. I'm fine
> continuing to do the git branching and stuff for these releases, in any
> case. You can pick that up later if you want or I can just keep doing
> it as the git admin guy person.

Not that I'm complaining, but I should probably do the git branch so I know
how to do it and can put it in our documentation. ;) April 1st sounds like a
fine day for me to do a new release. ;) I'll find a work horse to lead this
next stable release and notify everyone.

David Brown (dmlb2000) has agreed to do our stable-0.9 release and will be
posting a Stable-0.9 wiki soon. :)

> 2) Give me your backup plan when you aren't around and things need to
> happen.
>
> As I said to the other leads before, this can be whatever works for you,
> and I'll honor it as long as it's reasonable. Assistants, vote
> requests, defer to PL, whatever. If you don't tell me otherwise before
> next time something needs to be decided in your absence, it defaults to
> PL decision.

I've asked a few to be my assistants and will let you know which agree. ;) I
would like the order to be: Me -> Assistants -> PL for deciding what to do
with the grimoire.

George Sherwood (p3pilot) has agreed to be an Assistant. :)

> 3) Review the current ACLs and let me know what to do with them as of the
> 1st. This includes who has stable(-rc) grimoire commit access and who
> can approve integrations to stable(-rc) in bugziilla.

Once I've filled out my Assistants list, I'd like them to be on the
stable(-rc) commit access as well as approve integrations. I don't see anyone
on the stable(-rc) commit list or integration approval list I want removed.

> [...]
> gets "[integrated]" prepended
> - when someone mentions to Jeremy that there are integrations waiting
> to go to stable or he integrates one he knows was a security fix or
> otherwise really major, he regenerates the tarball
> - sometimes Arwed does this
> - Jaka or Jeremy goes and marks them all fixed after they hit the
> tarball
>
> I'm not really coming down on the process we're using because it is
> mostly working for us. However it is too randomized and needs policy
> behind it so things aren't missed. Also we need to be using bugzilla's
> states more intelligently so we're not hacking the bug subjects to store
> state.
>
> I would like to see something like:
>
> - file bug against highest branch it applies to
> - all bugs are always assigned to sm-grimoire-bugs; reassignments don't
> happen (any arguments against this given our current size are going to
> have to be damned compelling)
> - fix bug in test, mark it fixed
> - if it was filed against test, mark it closed unless it really needs
> verification, in which case ask for verification and still close it
> ASAP
> - if it was filed against stable(-rc), possibly request integration
> - once a day some group looks at integration requests on an assigned
> schedule and approves requests based on documented policy (a wiki
> page)
> - once a day some group performs integrations on an assigned schedule,
> marking a new "integrated" flag
> - when integrations are done, a new bug is created for 'stable-0.9-5
> tarball request' or something, with dependees of each bug that will
> be fixed by this
> - when these bugs are filed you or me or a designee makes the tarball
> (I will get the script into git somewhere)
> - tarball bug is closed
> - all bugs against a high branch are closed once they hit their filed
> branch, via integration or otherwise, unless verification is really
> required
>
> That's a suggestion, feedback from people like Jaka is definitely
> requested. The schedule is to make it so we except some given person is
> in there each day looking at what needs doing. I'm doing it near-daily
> now, I just need help (and to really be the backup, not the primary).
> We create as many gatekeepers as we need to fill out such a schedule.
> The "fixed in lesser branch" flag goes away in favor of the "fixed"
> state and an "integrated" flag. We'd need to update the bugzilla stored
> queries. We'd start using "closed" again, which would mean we'd first
> force-close a whole lot of fixed but not closed bugs that are out there.
> The stable tarball request meta-bug is iffy to me but maybe it would
> help. It might be enough to have the integrated flag so we can do a
> good query of if any non-closed integrations are out there requiring a
> tarball. We could generate an email off this daily as well maybe.

What I'd like to see here is similar to your example:
* File bug against highest branch affected.
* All bugs are assigned to sm-grimoire-bugs by default.
- People may reassign only to them (adding sm-grimoire-bugs to CC) if
they
plan on fixing the bug within the week and want to let people know they are
taking care of it so we do not duplicate work. (this could be taken care of
in a comment, but then you need to read all the comments to figure out who's
working on it at any given time. The Assigned field is useful for this).
* Once a bug is fixed in test, mark it as FIXED and request integration via
flags to affected grimoires.
- Request verification if the bug is more complicated than "update to
version X.Y.Z" or "missing dependency on foo" and mark CLOSED once it's
VERIFIED, otherwise mark CLOSED now.
- Once integrated, post which commit id the integration is and which
VERSION of the tarball it will be in.
- Mark all bugs CLOSED once they have reached the tarball. If the bug
still exists it may be REOPENED.
* Gatekeepers check for integration requests at least once a day.
* Integrators check for approved integrations at least once a day.
* Tarballs are only regenerated outside the normal 6 hour period (test) or
once a week (stable-rc/stable, if any integrations have been made) for
security updates or BLOCKER/CRITICAL bugs.
- If we can get the tarball generation to be quick, then I'd say the
stable/stable-rc tarballs should be regenerated whenever the VERSION file is
updated.

The following flags would be removed: "Fixed in lesser branch" and "Quickfix".
The following fields would be removed: OS (we only support Linux at this
time). Version would be renamed to "Grimoire" and only grimoire names will be
listed for the Codex product (e.g. remove "1.15.x").

I do like the idea of a master bug for integration requests, but that might
be
too much overhead and "paperwork". I would like to do a trial run of this, at
least, for one of our releases and continue it if we make it work.

I'm not sure I like the idea of addings flags to the summary
(e.g. "[integrated]") as it'd be cleaner, IMO, to use a real flag. That feels
to me as though we're flagging the bug, but are too lazy (or Bugzilla's flag
interface is too annoying) to use a real flag.

I would also like to see weekly cleanups of bugzilla, mainly for the
following:
* Unapplied security updates (it might be worthwhile to have a flag for
this)
* Duplicate bugs
* Bugs that have been fixed but not marked FIXED
* FIXED but not CLOSED bugs
* VERIFIED but not CLOSED bugs

All of this, of course, will be added to the Grimoire Guru Handbook once I
finalize the policy (with feedback welcome, of course ;)).

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285