sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] 0.9.6.3-rc3 (grimoire 0.7) ISO is up

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Brown" <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "George Sherwood" <pilot AT beernabeer.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] 0.9.6.3-rc3 (grimoire 0.7) ISO is up
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:30:37 -0700

On 3/21/07, George Sherwood <pilot AT beernabeer.com> wrote:

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 01:16:45 -0500
Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org> wrote:

> On Mar 21, George Sherwood [pilot AT beernabeer.com] wrote:
> > Completed update to stable-0.8 with no major problems.
> >
> > 1. Not part of the iso, but to a new user might seem that way.
> > After updating to stable-0.8 on the next reboot the system fails to
> > boot with grub due to the menu.1st having entries that won't work
> > on defaults. The original system is installed with:
> >
> > kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.19.5 root=/dev/hda1 ro
> >
> > After a sorcery rebuild the new menu.1st looks like:
> >
> > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.20.3 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=791
> >
> > Of course the file is not found and the boot fails. On my test
> > system the vga=791 causes a problem also. Of course both these can
> > be fixed during spell configuration, but I am not sure a new user
> > will know what to change all the time. I haven't tried lilo so not
> > sure how that works.
>
> These aren't new AFAIK.

I don't think are new either and I wouldn't say they are gating to
release a new iso either. There are bigger problems with such an old
stable grimoire on the old iso.

The linux spell uses templates to update the boot loader config, maybe
the iso needs to make their own templates. I'm not sure how the iso
generates the boot loader config entries. IIRC the iso does some
sedits based on whether you have a separate boot partition or not, so
it could be really easy for the iso to make the template file, or
really hard... not sure...

- David Brown

PS used the iso for installing to a laptop and worked fine. Installed
then rebooted and upgraded to test grimoire without any problems
really.