sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] rearranging ibiblio and getting mirroring going

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] rearranging ibiblio and getting mirroring going
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:29:31 -0700

On Tuesday 20 March 2007 14:57:14 Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> On Mar 20, Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
> > On Saturday 17 March 2007 14:13:49 Jeremy Blosser wrote:
<snip>
> > > iso/
> >
> > As long as we leave the iso -> cauldron/iso symlink up for
> > download.sourcemage.org, this should be fine, but I don't think it'd be a
> > good idea to 'hide' the ISO directory under a name which people new to
> > SMGL won't understand. Most will understand "iso" as where to get our
> > installer, but "cauldron"?
>
> That's why I listed the "with symlinks" version too. All the symlinks from
> the old locations are there (the rearranging has been done since Sunday), I
> just listed the real directories without symlinks as where things "really"
> are.

I know, but to me it sounded as though the symlinks are temporary. I am
saying
that the symlinks, at least for "iso", should stay, the others should be
easily findable under their new locations.

<snip>
> > > misc/
> > > projects/
> >
> > Perhaps drop the "misc" and have "projects" at the top, since by
> > definition they'd be "projects other than the already listed".
>
> There are misc things that we have reason to make available there but
> aren't projects we intend to release for people to use. We just don't have
> any up there yet.

Should we have misc/ and projects/ separate then? Mostly nitpicking on this
one, not so important. ;) I just don't see projects (such as Quill) as being
in a "miscellaneous" category.

<snip>
> > > tmp/
> >
> > Do we really still want this publicly available and mirrored?
>
> I imagine it depends on what it is. Better a location to put things that
> don't fit somewhere else than have people throwing them in random existing
> categories. The things that likely belong here now are tmp upload
> locations which have to exist whether or not they are visible from the web
> and mirrored.

Nothing should be temporarily placed on our download site and the upload
scripts could work outside of the publicly viewable area.

> > > tome/
> > > logos/
> > > screenshots/
> > <snip>
> >
> > Perhaps also "documentation", depending on if we want to have
> > plain-text/TeX/etc. versions of our documentation available.
>
> If we ever have that available, sure. I'm just dealing with what we have
> now.

Yeah, just an idea for the future. ;) No point having empty directories.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285