sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] An update to shadow

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] An update to shadow
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 18:45:58 +0100

On 18:29:45 2007-03-02 Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org> wrote:
> On Mar 02, "Andra?? 'ruskie' Levstik" [ruskie AT mages.ath.cx] wrote:
> > On 05:35:13 2007-03-02 Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
> > wrote:

> > > I see the point to this but I'm skeptical. Assuming there's a wider
> > > need for something like this, do we really want to implement them as
> > > spell menus all over the place and push more queries in front of
> > > users just because some people might like some custom scripts?
> > > There should be a more generic way to do this.
> > >

> > Provide one and I'll use that. We could just have a simple query do
> > you want to use the default add/dell user scripts? if the users
> > answers no they get the list if not we don't ask them about it again.
> >
> > And as for a wider need. Well it's extra user choice. Especialy since
> > last I checked shadow didn't provide any upstream defaults for it.
> > I'd be just as happy if we didn't install and add/del user scripts
> > then and stick to what we ussualy have... only upstream defaults.
> >
> > Both solutions are fine by me but I doubt many others would be equaly
> > pleased.
>
> I'd agree with at least prompting before installing our default
> scripts, we should do that.
>
> I think we should provide (optionally) a single default script for
> things like this, if someone writes and maintains one. For additional
> ones we start heading into the "contrib/" area and as a user I usually
> prefer projects keep their "contrib/" labelled and separate. Maybe
> something like a set of contrib spells or even a contrib grimoire, with
> optional dependencies where appropriate or something.

OK.

> I don't really think it's up to me to "provide" a full way to do it; if
> it's your itch, it's up to you to propose something people can agree
> with. And these are just my opinion, someone else may have a different
> idea.
>
> I don't use nano, I didn't know that. I don't really agree with it
> there either.
>
> > > - Using internal sorcery API calls like this is not recommended,
> > > especially when you have to hack around the prompt delay like
> > > that. What's wrong with a regular read -p ?
> > >

> > That can easily be replaced by own query_string implementation etc...
> > I simply used what was available at the time I wrote them and didn't
> > bother with being extra carefull. And they don't touch our default
> > ones. I still need to update the default ones to workaround the
> > changed base directory problem i.e. /home/users/ instead of /home.
>
> Being careful or not is kind of the point. If these are just your own
> scripts you provide via non-official channels in case people want to use
> them, you can of course do what you want with them. If the distro
> starts providing them as part of the official grimoire then we're
> responsible for any bugs/etc. And user creation scripts are pretty
> high-profile when they break.
>
> If you want a way to be less careful with them and own them yourself and
> still get them in front of users, think about a way to facilitate a
> "contrib" grimoire or something for contributed admin scripts and config
> files.

I'd really like that. Anyone else interested in that? This way we could
have vim-configs, nano-configs, etc... for anyone who want's to add what
they are using.

So for this one someone needs to fixup our scripts to work as they do atm.
I can do that so that they work as-is. And add a query to install them
which defaults to y

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html
Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Key id = F4C1F89C
Key fingerprint = 6FF2 8F20 4C9D DB36 B5B6 F134 884D 72CC F4C1 F89C