sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Improved modutils init script comments please

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Improved modutils init script comments please
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 00:49:43 +0100

On 00:43:21 2007-02-17 Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org> wrote:
> It sounds like a good idea to me. Might consider holding it back in
> test til we're sure it's ready to go forward to stable stuff. Or doing
> a devel branch for it.

Well I also plan on doing some revamping of init.d and proposing some
other init script tweaks that should be implemented(an overall init script
policy).

So I can do it when I do the rest so it's not spilt up in various places.
I'll try to get some document up on the wiki in the next week. There's
quite a few things that bug me about our current scripts. One of them
being that they are getting overly complex and doing way more in them.
I'd like to split stuff out of them p.ex. offloading swap into it's own
init script. Adding support for dm-cryptable swap init script(what I use
on my machines lately). Also does the RUNLEVEL=FOO variable affect the
init script in anyway or is that there only for sorcery.

I'd also like the following setup(if enough interest).
/etc/init.d/script - to have all possible init scripts and
/etc/rc.d/ - to have the initctl fifo and our current init.d/* setup
If anyone thinks this might be usefull lemme know else I won't really
bother with this setup.

The other is that quite a few daemon init scripts have quite some stuff
hardcoded like using a log file instead of syslog(I found a few) and not
allowing to pass any other ARGS etc. But I'll put this into a more
coherent form. I'll make a local initWIP branch and work there and post
the changes when done to the ML. If anyone wants to help with this we
could setup a remote branch for it on git.s.o.

This is incoherent ruskie signing off to bed... nyx all

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html
Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Key id = F4C1F89C
Key fingerprint = 6FF2 8F20 4C9D DB36 B5B6 F134 884D 72CC F4C1 F89C