sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] What I Have In Mind

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] What I Have In Mind
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:22:58 +0100

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 11:29:01PM -0600, Jeremy Blosser wrote:

<snip>

> > > c) For those things that just aren't working I will probably get
> > > pretty
> > > blunt about dropping them. The Drupal experiment still sounds
> > > good
> > > in theory but if it doesn't step up soon I'm going to have a
> > > really
> > > hard time leaving it on life support.
> >
> > What part of the Drupal experiment are we lagging on? If it's just the
> > part
> > about moving the 'finished' documentation pages into DrupalBook, then we
> > can
> > always decide to use a Wiki for all documentation and continue to use
> > Drupal
> > for forums, news, etc.
>
> About the only part of the site that gets activity is the forums. We don't
> run particularly useful news, we don't write docs (this isn't just "we
> don't migrate them from the wiki"), and we don't really have an "etc".
> Further we don't have anyone stepping up to deal with things like site
> maintenance and upgrades. This last is non-optional for a heavy web app
> exposed to the internet.
>
> I hear very few voices of support for keeping this site going, and the few
> I hear aren't doing a lot to prove the usefulness. Most seem to just want
> a wiki, and after a few years letting the site prove itself, it just hasn't
> IMO.

If you're worried about the site exposure and the fact we don't have
anyone to take care of it, I'd say just drop everything we don't use.
Let's just run a minimal albeit functionnal site, with the wiki of
course, and the forums since they seem to be used.
That way, if we really have the need for something, and only if we have
someone to take care of it, we add it, and no useless crud will
linger.

just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Mathieu.

--
GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net:

KeyID: | Fingerprint:
683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3