sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] making initrd's a little easier

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Brown" <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] making initrd's a little easier
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 13:32:34 -0800

Why would we make this the default? Is the kernel planning to start
requiring an initrd?

well if its an optional depends then if is_depends_enabled linux-devel
then mkinitrd and it wouldn't require the use of the initrd (since you
make the kernel however you want and you update the bootloader however
you want) it would only make it and put it in /boot so you could use
it if you like, so the creation would be done no matter what.

Having the linux spell not depend on anything make some kind of sense
but it obviously does depend on some things now whether it names them
or not (gcc, for one). Regardless, I don't think the point there is to
make any potential dependencies part of the linux spell itself.

well I think the rational was that, linux isn't part of basesystem and
any spell that isn't part of basesystem shouldn't depend on any spell
in basesystem. Since the extra linux-devel spell isn't part of
basesystem linux should optionally depend on it since its using one of
the files provided by said spell.

I would rather see us add it as an optional_depends than have it in the
spell itself... if the xen patches ever become a fully integrated option in
the linux spell we'd need to do that kind of thing anyway.

optionally depend would be fine, I usually say depend but mean
optionally depend ;)

- David Brown