sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-fhs proposed update

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Brown" <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ruskie AT mages.ath.cx
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-fhs proposed update
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 10:30:02 -0800

Optional dirs sholud NOT even be in smgl-fhs they should be created by
stuff that NEEDS it... games grimoire creates /var/games if it's not there
so should monolithic X create /usr/X11* if it's not there...

I don't really see the benefit here, since I know on several occasions
I've used the archive file to generate a 'chroot' for an initrd and
such. Having an archive file around with all the basesystem
directories in it does seem very handy.

I do have ideas using stage root but they would require stage root to
do so, which shouldn't happen yet, especially to a base-system
package.

It would go as follows:
INSTALL would just install everything optional or not.
POST_INSTALL would move stuff to the system querying on each dir.

You could also do something similar without stage root, move all the
making directories to BUILD (optional or not) and stage them to the
source directory, then during INSTALL move them giving warnings but
not failing if the destination dir in the system doesn't match what's
in the source directory.

Just some thoughts on how to make this more flexable.

- David Brown