sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] cups and gutenprint

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "B. A. S." <silverdrop9 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] cups and gutenprint
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 18:58:28 -0400

Just a followup regarding my question. I eventually discovered that, after
the upgrade, the permissions had for some reason changed on /dev/lp0. This
may have been a side effect of me upgrading my kernel at one point, but I
don't know if that is when my printing stopped. It seemed to immediately
follow my upgrade of cups. I created a udev rule that would set the owner to
"daemon" which I discovered print jobs were running as. I hope this helps
someone searching through the archives in the future. I made the rule in
/etc/udev/rules.d/ 30-printer.rules and this is the text:
BUS="usb", SYSFS_serial="LO5010603280706250", MODE="0660", GROUP="sys",
OWNER="daemon"

The serial bit should be the serial number of you own printer of course. I
picked that group owner because that is the group that cups runs under on
some other systems I have worked on. I don't know if it was actually
necessary.
--
B. A. Storm
Personalize your Live.com homepage with the news, weather, and photos you

  • Re: [SM-Discuss] cups and gutenprint, B. A. S., 10/24/2006