sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] security updates

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] security updates
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:06:00 -0500

I really need to encourage section gurus to keep an eye out for security
updates affecting their sections, and general gurus to keep an eye out for
security updates in general. Several times now I've had to go back through
CVE postings going back months and file bugs. I'm trying to find time to
do that again; the relevant mail folder here has over 100 messages in it,
and I've only seen us do 2 or 3 security updates in stable across that same
time frame. These updates should take precedence over *any* other work if
we want to recommend ourselves to anyone as a distribution to use in a
connected environment.

We folded the security component role back into the other components some
time ago, so more than ever we need some people in each area to take
primary responsibility for making sure we stay current and not give our
users a false sense of security.