sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Installation on CD/DVD-less machine

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mads Laursen <smgl AT dossen.dk>
  • To: Public SourceMage Discussion List <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Installation on CD/DVD-less machine
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 00:09:55 +0200

Hello fellow sourcemages

I'm currently considering a new laptop - a Thinkpad X60. As the
machine does not have a builtin optical drive, the installation of
sourcemage will have to be handled in some other way.

Obviously I could just buy, borrow or steal an external drive and get
it over with, but I would like to know if anybody has a better
suggestion?

Could the sourcemage installer be transfered to a suitably big
usb-storage device and still work?

Could the installer be made to netboot and install that way?

Any other suggestions?

And I really hop I have not overlooked some obvious guide or
documentation that answers this - RTFM + a URL would be totally
useful.

Thanks in advance.

/dossen
--
The fantasy of gold, the fairy dream that the gold is there, at the end of
the rainbow, and will continue to be there for ever provided, naturally,