sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL migration form 32b to 64b

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: Lubomir Blaha <tritol AT trilogic.cz>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL migration form 32b to 64b
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 08:53:16 -0700

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 12:59:22PM +0200, Lubomir Blaha wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I bought new hardware (AMD64X2) and I want migrate my existing SMGL box
> (AthlonXP) to 64bit. Is it possible? I don't wanna install everything again
> from x86_64 iso. Sometimes I need to run 32b apps (binary games) so I need
> "Multilib way". I can't find any howto or similar text.

Install it into a separate partition that you can chroot to. Make sure
to copy the kernel from the iso into your /boot when you do this so that
you can boot 64/32 hybrid style. Then you can build a pure 64-bit
kernel from that. If you need details/walkthrough, I'm on irc.

You have to install everything again from the x86_64 iso to get enough
64-bit stuff to bootstrap from. We don't support native
cross-compilation for this converstion yet.

And we don't technically support multilib. You can enable multilib in
the relevent spells, but spells that break with multilib are your own
problem and installing the multilib headers are your own problem. If
you really want multilib supported, you can volunteer to maintain the
multlib headers and be the central contact.

Most of the x86_64 developers/users here run a pure 64-bit 64-bit system
without multilib because we tend to run everything from source and not
require proprietary games for our enjoyment (nethack is good enough).

Again, see me in irc (swoolley) to talk more.

Seth