sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Sync between branch

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <vlaaad AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Sync between branch
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:57:46 +0200

Hi people,

I just have a question about syncing between master and devel. Today I
wanted to perform changes in the udev spell. However I have some
problems at reboot and so I decided to commit my changes in devel
instead in master.

I would like to know what is the preferred way to achieve this.

Here is what I was trying to do :
1) Generate a diff with cg-diff (git-diff) since I didn't committed the
changes in master.
2) Reset the master head
3) Switch to the local devel branch
4) Syncing the spell with the spell in master
5) Apply the diff

Hopelessly the real problem for me is 4)
I first tried to replay all the commits from the spell in master, but it
seems they are not synced from the beginning, so the first patch to be
applied already conflicts ! Actually not, it worked for udev but not for
init.d spell (I wanted it to be synced too because some udev commits
also modify init.d spell, I really understand the meaning of per-spell
commits now ;-) ).
So should I try harder or is it possible to simply 'cp' the spell from
master to devel and commit ?
--
Flavien Bridault

Disk, Graphics, Graphics-libs sections Guru
Source Mage GNU/Linux - http://www.sourcemage.org

irc: vlaaad
jabber: vlaaad AT amessage.be