sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] git feedback

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <vlaaad AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] git feedback
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:44:10 +0200

Le mercredi 02 août 2006 à 11:03 +0200, Flavien Bridault a écrit :
> Le vendredi 28 juillet 2006 à 19:14 +0200, Andraž "ruskie" Levstik a
> écrit :

> > > There's nothing stopping you from keeping a directory on disk for each
> > > branch you want to work with. Just clone the repository multiple times
> > > and
> > > keep each clone on a different branch. You have to do cherry-picks
> > > between
> > > local branches of the same clone, but that shouldn't even be a
> > > noticeable
> > > distinction at the local clone level.
> > >
> > > Note that if you do this, you will want to use a more specific pull
> > > syntax
> > > to keep those other clones updated. git-pull origin devel:devel, etc.
> > >
> > I recommend you look at my Cogito_Guide on the wiki. I also don't like
> > this multihead stuff:
> >
> > Here's how I like to work:
> >
> > $ cg clone git+ssh://upstreampath#branchname mylocalclone-branch
> >
> > That's all I can then use the same commands as above to work on it... It
> > does need to have the email and commiter set properly again though.
> >
> > That way I have one dir/branch and can use plain unix commands. The
> > setup I like is how the xmms2 ppl have git setup(their site is offline
> > atm). But they have a diff tree for each branch.
> >
> That's a possibility but I would like to try first the multihead stuff,
> in order, for instance, to take advantage of cg-diff command between
> arbitrary heads.
>
> However I don't manage to make the master head pointing on any other
> branch than origin. I added the other branches manually with
> cg-branch-add. Here is the state of my repository :
<snip>

I managed to get it working as I wish. :)

Therefore I updated the cogito guide [0]. Now I can highly recommend
cogito for people finding git sometimes painful !

Nevertheless I still have to figure out how to perfom cherry-picking.

[0] http://wiki.sourcemage.org/Cogito_Guide
--
Flavien Bridault

Disk, Graphics, Graphics-libs sections Guru
Source Mage GNU/Linux - http://www.sourcemage.org

irc: vlaaad
jabber: vlaaad AT amessage.be