sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] state of the compiz spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Lalo Martins <lalo.martins AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] state of the compiz spells
  • Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 10:16:43 +0800

All right, the compiz-related spells seem to be tested enough, and as
stable as they can be considering it's highly alpha code.

They can be used directly from cvs:
scribe add compiz from
cvs://:pserver:anonymous AT metascape.afraid.org:/cvsroot:compiz-grimoire
(yes, I'm a bzr user, but I have bandwidth and stability problems...
Quinnstorm, maintainer of one of the flavours of compiz, kindly offered to
host a cvs module for the grimoire, on the same repository where
compiz-quinn and other tools are already hosted).

The spells can be used as they are for AIGLX users. If your hardware
requires Xgl (my case), then it gets slightly hairier -- you need to
compile Xgl yourself from instructions at
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fXgl -- at least until we figure
how to get our xorg-server spell to compile Xgl. I think I know the
answer already, just need to have a large chunk of free time to experiment
with it.

Note, even if the spells happen to be usable, I don't think they're ready
for inclusion in master, as they assume you're running xorg-modular (which
itself is WIP at the moment). If anyone wants to help fixing the
dependencies so that they can run without xorg-modular, I'll gladly accept
it.

best,
Lalo Martins
personal: http://www.laranja.org/
technical: http://lalo.revisioncontrol.net/
GNU: never give up freedom http://www.gnu.org/

  • [SM-Discuss] state of the compiz spells, Lalo Martins, 08/05/2006