sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] wiki bio pages (education)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] wiki bio pages (education)
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:18:58 +0200

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 04:36:29PM +0200, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> This is maybe a bit offtopic for the list - but after all, it's also about
> how new SMGL developers evolve (education).
>
> Am Sun, 25 Jun 2006 14:38:34 +0200
> schrieb "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>:
>
> > 2 reasons:
> > first it is indeed thx to the french education system that I passed my
> > Astrophysics master's when I was 22 (nothing unusual about that, I
>
> Impossible in Germany (Brandenburg)
> - 13 years of school to get Abitur, starting at age 6/7, ending at
> age 19/20

here around 12 years, starting at 6 so you usually get your
"Baccalauréat" (which I believe to be the equivalent of your Abitur) at 18.

> - 1 year Bundeswehr (army) or civil service for guys -> 20/21

hehe, fortunately we don't have that anymore for people born after 1980
(which is my case :) )

> - 5 year standard study time for diploma -> 25/26

same here -> so 23 (22 if you're born at the end of the year like me).

> You could cut this by two years with 12 years Abitur (some parts of Germany
> have it) and being not fit for army service (disabled, drug addict...) or
> having enough brothers.
>
> > already have 4 years in science at uni to do this one extensive year to
> > get a master's degree in cs. But of course, it's a very practical
>
> That's really interesting...
>
> > formation since we only have one year, so we skip all the theory and
> > learn how to code properly, some software engineering, some db, some
>
> ...and that would be a kind of CS study I can take.
> I did choose physics because I thought cs would be to boring with all that
> stuff _not_ related to computers;-)
> Still, I didn't know what theoretical physics is back when I did the
> decision...
>
> Can I come over to france and do this one-year cs master after my diploma?

sure, we have ppl from all around Europe in my class; Armenia, Romania,
Syria, so why not Germany...
And you German ppl have quite a reputation here for being pretty good in
science, so it would be quite easy to get in I believe.

> Heck - I could even revamp my thesis work for cs since it's mainly about
> numeric intergration and software design;-)

Could be...