sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] new setup

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] new setup
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 16:14:22 +0300

On Sunday 04 June 2006 15:54, Pieter Lenaerts wrote:
> Op zo, 04-06-2006 te 20:44 +0800, schreef Craig Dyke:
> > 1. Everytime I start the machine and go into SourceMage it keeps
> > changing the network card descriptor , ie eth0 to eth1

This is because the Linux kernel doesn't guarantee any set order in which
devices are created during boot. Hotplug used to artificially enforce a
persistent loading order, but udev does not. Hotplug isn't (supposed to be)
used anymore, and therefore some rules to bind device addresses to interface
names are necessary.

> I'd create udev rules for your interfaces based on their mac address
> like this:
>
> KERNEL=="eth*", SYSFS{address}=="AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF", NAME="wifi"
> KERNEL=="eth*", SYSFS{address}=="00:11:22:33:44:55", NAME="lan"
>
> where NAME is arbitrary and your macs in the SYSFS filed of course

There is already a udev rule (in /etc/udev/rules.d/07-bindings.rules) for
this. But for it to work the MAC field in netconf's interface setup must be
set correctly. The rule reads the MAC variable
from /etc/sysconfig/network/<interface>.dev and binds the interface name to
that hardware address.

This solution (for whose existence I take full responsibility :/) is actually
a very bad one, because the MAC option is meant for _changing_ the hardware
address, not just for information. So the next netconf version will also have
a DEVICE_MAC field, which will be exclusively used by udev for the purpose of
binding interface names. I have the edit almost finished on my hard drive,
I'll submit it next week.
Meanwhile, just set the MAC field. It _should_ work for most cards.

Oh, in case this isn't clear yet: What I've described only applies to the
test
grimoire.

--
Juuso Alasuutari