sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] prometheus stable-rc status report

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] prometheus stable-rc status report
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 17:29:06 -0700

I'm about half way through and found a package database corruption
affecting the following spells:

libxml2, tex-misc, gst-plugins, and thp

If you think a failure was caused by a dependency on one of those in
stable-rc but it claims it was installed, well, it may not have been.
Go ahead and mark it as a dupe of 12160. I'll look at it and determine
if it truly was the cause and reopen it if necessary.

In other news, we have _a lot_ of bugs we need people to work on. Most
of these are obvious dependency issues that are easy to see and fix. If
you feel like you are up to it, we need volunteers for this more than
running prometheus itself. Our bug finding rate is faster than our fix
rate. When that picture changes, I might need more hardware, but for
now we simply need more gurus.

One thing that might be making it difficult is the myriad SCMs we're
trying and the focus on that. I'd like people to promise to take a look
at bugs filed against certain sections and, even if you can't triage
them all, look at them and see if they are a quick fix, and if so, fix
them. I'm going to go through the spells used by at least 25% of our
users according to the ledger personally to at least determine whether
or not they need to be fixed, so those are the highest priority, but it
would still be good to have most of these bugs fixed in a couple months
so that I can spend more time building a test-on-commit build revolver
instead of looking at hundreds of bugs that get caught by prometheus
every round they don't get fixed.

I know a lot of them are already fixed in test, which is great, but if
it isn't that's what I'm more concerned about.

Happy bug fixing!

Seth

  • [SM-Discuss] prometheus stable-rc status report, seth, 05/27/2006