sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Xorg-modular

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • Cc: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Xorg-modular
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 00:02:58 +0200

Having to change providers is annoying, it should just do it for you
(default to what's installed for most cases, else prompt). Also it really
shouldn't prompt you every single time you cast the spell.
What should do it for us? You're not expected to change providers
often (xfree86 -> xorg being an example). What shouldn't prompt every
time you cast a spell? If you mean asking what should provide FOO,
then it does ask every time, but defaults to what has already been
chosen for FOO further up the chain or is already installed or the
first on the list if none of the above (unless you used `sorcery
default add` to set it ;)).

Personally I agree with Jeremy. It is annoying if I have to choose providers every time I cast the spell.
"cast" could ask only for new providers. I know it was discussed already and probably majority of developers prefered this behaviour.

BTW, why "cast -r -c spell" remembers last settings. I remember the time when "cast -r -c" was the same as it was for the first time I cast the spell.
Now it remember my settings.
For example I prefered devel version of spell, now I would like to run stable version and "cast -r -c" proposes devel version even the default version is stable.

--
Ladislav Hagara