sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] probably sorcery bug

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] probably sorcery bug
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:15:55 -0700

On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 01:01:54AM -0500, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> On Apr 30, Alex S. Tsamutali [astsmtl AT gmail.com] wrote:
> > i am not sure but seems like this is a bug in sorcery:
> >
> > astsmtl@alpha:~$ gaze from /bin/install
> > coreutils-5.2.1:/bin/install
> > coreutils-5.2.1:/usr/bin/install
> > coreutils-5.93:/bin/install
> > coreutils-5.93:/usr/bin/install
> > coreutils-5.94:/bin/install
> > coreutils-5.94:/usr/bin/install
> >
> > i think that sorcery should use only latest available or currently
> > installed version of install log, am i right?
>
> Why would you keep old install logs if you weren't going to use them like
> this? What if someone was looking for a file that had gone missing and
> wanted to know where it had come from before?

Cleanse can take care of these logs. I like the fact that I can see the
old ones around, and, in fact, the whole reason (adaptionistically,
since it's really just a side-effect of grep -H) we see the spell name
and the version is to support this feature -- it's working as intended.

That said, I think there's room to have a gaze from --installed-only
option or somesuch that is ensured one entry only if the currently
installed spell (or none if not currently installed) contains it (or
more entries if multiple spells touched the same file).

Seth