sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [Fwd: Re: Project Organization Policy Vote]

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: Source Mage - Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [Fwd: Re: Project Organization Policy Vote]
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:37:36 -0500

On Apr 26, Robin Cook [rcook AT wyrms.net] wrote:
> Should use the current voting procedures until the new ones are voted
> on.

To my knowledge the 'current voting procedures' for "issue" votes are
basically: what the PL says, and sometimes he asks the TLs to vote. Note
last week when he changed the Social Contract and just told people about
it. The other major example I can think of was the TL vote on the gpg/hash
debacle. Historically the PL/etc. have declined calls for general votes on
anything that wasn't an election.

This lack of real definition is not a particulary good place to be, and
it's one reason for proposing this set of changes. I didn't want these to
just go in based on PL declaration or anything though, which is why when I
proposed it I asked for a full lead vote and allowance for a veto. I used
the process defined in these changes because it was fully defined and
available. Honestly I expected there might be some conversation about that
when I made the suggestion, I didn't expect it to be the final word. But
no one said anything opposed, so I guess it went forward that way.

That all having been said, I don't personally have a solid opinion about
how this should go beyond that I want the project to be OK with it. My
(non-binding) .02 are that the best way to do that is up to the PL and TLs,
so I leave it to them.