sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] amd64

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] amd64
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:42:11 +0100

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:09:49 +0100, Treeve Jelbert wrote:

> I am planning to upgrade my ageing Athlon 750 to an AMD Athlon 64 3500+.
>
> What is the best way to proceed?
>

> a. rebuild kernel with support for new hardware
> install old disk in new box
> boot new system
> set cpu=k8_64 in sorcery
> rebuild everything

Sorry, won't work. 64-bit k8 is a different architecture from x86, you
would need to build a cross compiler and make sure you don't clobber
anything you still need. Maybe possible with install_root after you
manually built a cross compiler, but hard or worse.

> b. install a new x64 iso
> boot new system
> set cpu=k8_64 in sorcery
> rebuild everything
> cast all other required spells
> copy other data from original disk

A possibility, if only we had a new x86-64 ISO. the most recent we have
is 0.9.4-test7 iirc, you may run into some problems. Because we haven't
had an athlon64 ISO factory yet, we haven't been able to create new ones.

c. run the processor in 32 bit mode and optimize for it
Advantage: you can start out from your old system
Disadvantage: you run 32 bit only. The cpu will still be pretty fast though,
because you have some additional registers, iirc.
This is what I myself run, by the way

Hope this helps a bit,
So Far,
Karsten Behrmann

--
Karsten Behrmann | Source Mage GNU/Linux developer, ISO team
BearPerson AT gmx.net | http://www.sourcemage.org

  • [SM-Discuss] amd64, Treeve Jelbert, 02/27/2006
    • Re: [SM-Discuss] amd64, Karsten Behrmann, 02/27/2006