sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL as GNU-certified Free(R)(TM) Distro?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL as GNU-certified Free(R)(TM) Distro?
  • Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 10:31:52 -0500

Don't want to start the debate on SCM here but I'm following the mercurial and monotone mailing lists and my personal opinion is that they have yet to mature. I use Subversion (over https) and Perforce every day and I would prefer Subversion without reservations, because I think that going to the server for *everything* is a serious architectural error. Arch and any other tools I don't know anything about, so I can't comment.
So, from maturity and utility standpoint, my choice would be Subversion (unknowns such as arch to be investigated). I believe the key objection to Subversion is that it doesn't allow "local commits." I never tried an SCM software that has such feature so I have no idea why it's required.

Sergey.