sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] "R" dependency on fortran

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] "R" dependency on fortran
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 09:11:40 +0100

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 10:29:20PM -0400, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> I found some time ago that R works using just this in BUILD:
>
> export F77=$(which gfortran)
>
> I don't know what other spells use Fortran compiler so no idea if it's
> good as a general solution.

Something similar to that should work for most of the fortran using
spells. It should only be done if there's no g77 installed though, so it
also works in test grimoire.

> Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
>
> >So we can have a g77 spell in devel grimoire that depends on gcc34 just
> >for spells that need that particular version, or do we just symlink g77
> >to fortran (or gfortran) and expect it all to work?

Just symlinking it could lead to weird problems as gfortran is _not_
g77. It's a completely new fortran compiler written from scratch for gcc
4.0 that has some additional features and some features available in g77
missing. We should make our fortran using spells use gfortran
explicitly on gcc4 systems to test if everything works as expected.
For the dependency issue I'd suggest a dummy 'fortran' spell for test
grimoire depending on g77 so spells just depend on fortran.
With gcc 4.0.0 gfortran couldn't build all spells we have using fortran,
but I think the releveant bugs have been fixed in 4.0.1 and 4.0.2.

http://www.sourcemage.org

  • Re: [SM-Discuss] "R" dependency on fortran, Arwed von Merkatz, 11/01/2005