sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] "R" dependency on fortran

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] "R" dependency on fortran
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:12:25 -0400

One more obstacle: g77 in test grimoire creates a "g77" binary because it's GCC 3, but "fortran" in devel grimoire creates "fortran" binary because it's GCC 4. They didn't make it easy for us...

Seth Alan Woolley wrote:

I think making the 'deprecated' g77 depend on fortran is the surest way to make sure people get the proper spells installed (except for those subscribed to devel grimoire who have already ran into this issue).

The provides is a good option if we are to have real g77/fortran spells together in one grimoire at any one time, but I think Sergey's suggestion will work best right now, doesn't require that we remove it later by touching a whole bunch of spells (every spell that uses fortran). In theory, adding the dependency is a pretty cool trick. The provides technique would make more natural sense except for the fact that it's too much work.