sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Meeting times

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Meeting times
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 13:39:42 -0700

On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 10:49:55AM -0700, Andrew wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 03:21:53PM -0700, Andrew wrote:
> > >
> > > A bit short notice, but if people are for it I'm game. :)
> > >

> > In that case, I'll be in #sourcemage-admin (actively) from 11:00am to
> > noon PDT this sunday. Agenda will be on:
> >
> > 1.12.2 stable release, which includes a new unpacking library with gpg
> > verification (thanks to swoolley), and how to use it.
> >
> > I'll also make a plug for new volunteers and areas people can help out
> > in if they're interested (only basic bash coding skills needed).
> >
> > Although people are free to ask about whatever they want.
> >
> > No formal schedule, if theres active conversation the meeting may go
> > longer (but i may have to leave eventually).
> >

> Meeting starting in 10 minutes thats 18:00 GMT.

Here is a summary of the meeting.

Briefly talked about various sorcery components. Eventually the discussion
arrived at seth's recent proposal for dependency + versions [0]. Everyone
agreed that the feature, if implemented could be split between a grimoire
library and sorcery. A grimoire library would do glob pattern matching
on spells, and either use depends or force_depends, the force_depends
function would be implemented in sorcery, if used the spell would be
forced to cast even if it was installed.

An alternative proposal dubbed "lazy updates" came up. The idea being
that if a spell is depended on, it is installed (not held), AND is
out-of-date, sorcery would automatically recast that spell. This is as
opposed to the
current behavior where if a spell is installed, its assumed to be up-to-date.
It was suggested that a menu allow people to choose their default behavior
(always, never, ask-yes, ask-no). A further enhancement was suggested
to give spells the ability to "advise" an update which would essentially
provide the same functionality described with the original suggestion.

Of those that commented, the consensus was for lazy updates as it provided
additional benefits to those who dont regularly do sorcery system-update.

I will file a bug on this suggestion.

Finally, if anyone is interested in helping out in sorcery, there
are several things that could use owners, if interested please email me
directly. Thanks.

[0] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2005-July/011422.html

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |