sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Using chroot during INSTALL phase

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Using chroot during INSTALL phase
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:50:02 -0400

Hi All,

Don't kill me just yet, I'm not trying to revive the old INSTALL_ROOT and
TRACK_ROOT thread. Also, my apologies if this was suggested and ruled out
already.

I had an idea on how to make both of these variables unnecessary. What if we
follow this logic during cast:
1) build the spell the regular way;
2) if INSTALL_ROOT is empty, do nothing;
3) if INSTALL_ROOT is not empty, go into "chroot $INSTALL_ROOT" mode, where
/usr/src/<spell> is mounted in the same place path
($INSTALL_ROOT/usr/src/<spell> would be a full path);
4) do the install without using $INSTALL_ROOT, in chroot jail;
5) after POST_INSTALL, get out of chroot and continue as usual.

The chroot area can be pre-created when a system builder chooses non-empty
value
for INSTALL_ROOT. The problem here is that spells that need to access
dependencies /inside/ $INSTALL_ROOT on step #1 will not be able to do so. But
believe those would be very few spells, and none of the spells required for
the
ISO fall into this group. Maybe in those cases chroot could be set up before
step 1, as an exception.

There would be two benefits of doing it this way: (a) no mention of
INSTALL_ROOT
or TRACK_ROOT anywhere in spells; (b) simplified ISO creation (?).

I'm sure it's not as simple as that, but would it work in principle?
Thanks,

Sergey.