sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] linux-new call

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] linux-new call
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 08:15:45 -0700

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 08:47:52AM +0200, Mathieu L. wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 02:33:23PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
>
> Hi all
>
> <snip>
>
> > >I do not understand why the default answer for "Would you like to
> > >have linux-new update your bootloader?" is no.
> > >Again, users are not interested is some options. Just "sorcery
> > >system-updated" should update all system including linux-new and
> > >updating bootloader.
> > >This default answer can cause for example that the linux kernel
> > >2.8.8 is installed but user still use 2.6.10 due to the old lilo.conf.
> >
> > It's safer to default not to modify someone's boot config in case they
> > did mess up on the kernel config. This way at least their system will
> > boot no matter how bad they screwed up the new compile (unless they're
> > replacing the old kernel, but then modifying the boot config wouldn't
> > have helped either).
>
> And I, for one, is glad this kind of message now defaults to "no" because
> here my /boot partition is not mounted by default (to protect it from
> stupid users like me ;) ) so linux spell used to fail when I forgot to
> mount it before casting the spell. (because it couldn't update the
> bootloader).

Yes, the reason I requested it in the first place is because it does
stuff way outside the current install if you have more than one
operating system. My chroot tests were wiping out my good lilo on my
main install and there was nothing I could do about it except re-run
lilo again on the main install after linux cast, but with automated
testing, that's a pain.

Seth

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
Quality Assurance Team Leader; Security Team Member, Leader Emeritus
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Elected Coordinating Committee Member, Secretary, and Finances Chair
Pacific Green Party of Oregon - Peace - http://www.pacificgreens.org