sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] clean up httpd.conf and adding and removing websites

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] clean up httpd.conf and adding and removing websites
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:17:39 -0500

All,

The idea is workable, especially after individual "spell" directories are no longer planned. Directories "modules" and "sites" are a great catch. Somebody would have to figure out how to take standard Apache conf file and split it during cast into several modules/*.conf files (unless we want to abandon this configuration completely and create our own base configuration).

But please, don't do anything with the /usr/share portion. I have yet to see a set up where the sites would be underneath this directory. The only files there are usually the Apache docs. Having sub-directories like httpd.d may also complicate the Apache upgrade. In short, /usr/share/apache/httpd.d/ is an evil twin of /etc/httpd/sites/. I am strongly against this.

Finally, I believe several spells maintain a good practice of installing a "default" configuration file, and only copying it to the "actual" configuration file in case the latter is absent. E.g., something like phpMySQLAdmin would create /etc/httpd/sites/mysql.conf.default, and copy this file into /etc/httpd/sites/mysql.conf only if mysql.conf is not there (that's done without installwatch looking, of course). This way, people always have something to refer to in case of problems, and the default configuration may change freely with new spell versions. In Apache's httpd.conf, we would only include files with *.conf mask, not paying attention to *.conf.default. Other naming conventions are possible as long as there's a clear an unambiguous way to set up Apache and to show users that some files are for reference only.
Thanks,

Sergey.

David Michael Leo Brown Jr. wrote:

I very much dislike the Debian Way for doing apache. ;) What I'd
rather is a layout such as this:
/etc/httpd/
/<config files for apache>
/modules/
/<spell>/
/<spell>/<config files for spell (e.g. php)>

Perhaps remove the /modules/ abstraction to just have
/etc/httpd/<spell>/.

Any package other than httpd that would like to install config files
will install them to /etc/httpd/modules (e.g. subversion, php, etc.)
and the user would have to add the proper "include modules/<conf
file>" to /etc/httpd/httpd.conf, rather than having extra
config_queries that ask the user if they want to enable it and having
symlinks and directories reminiscent of the /etc/rc.d days.

As for the DocumentRoot installation, I like the idea of not having
packages install themselves to Apache's default DocumentRoot
(/usr/share/apache{,2}/htdocs), and thus being accessible before the
admin might have the chance to properly configure and secure it (e.g.
php{my,pg}admin).

Okay, so what I think we figured out a little on the mailing list and a
little on irc... here's the break down

/etc/httpd/
/httpd.conf
/modules/<config file for modules> (eg mod_php)
/sites/<config file for sites> (eg php{my,pg}admin)

No symlinks anywhere and the modules won't directly edit httpd.conf (fix php
spell) the spells would simply add the config files to their appropriate
place.

This puts the load on the user to include the proper files in httpd.conf or
we can develope a telapache script that would edit/change it's own
telapache.conf that can be included in httpd.conf.

Apache document root, spells will install to /usr/share/apache{,2}/httpd.d
directory, this puts the load on the user to edit the httpd.conf or link from
the apache root to the script directory or telapache script could also handle
this.

I would like to edit httpd-dev spell in devel because it is a dev apache and not
"stable" apache, besides I don't think anyone else but me uses it... ;)

- David