sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] clean up httpd.conf and adding and removing websites

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] clean up httpd.conf and adding and removing websites
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:26:53 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, David Michael Leo Brown Jr. wrote:
I know this has been talked about on and off before, but I would like to
seriously get this started.

Right now httpd.conf is very large and cluttered also we don't provide
choices to add phpmyadmin phppgadmin, and the like, to apache root or not.
However I wouldn't like to see more questions being asked of the user.

I propose to change the /etc/httpd directory adding directories
modules-available and modules-enabled along with sites-available and
sites-enabled, might recognize this from debian. The spells would add config
files to either sites-available or modules-available automatically then it
would be up to the user to copy or link the config files to the sites-enabled
or modules-enabled directories, the httpd.conf file would also by default
source all files in the sites-enabled and modules-enabled directories.

Also I propose the same sort of approach to apache root. Adding a directory
/usr/share/apache[2]/httpd.d where all sites would be installed then
requiring the user to link from there to where ever they want. (Seth I think
you were concerned about this)

Since apache is one of linux's biggest security risks (of the few security
risks that there are :) I think this approach would give more power to the
user and still provide unattented and safe installs without adding more
questions.

Let me know what you think, I'm sure most of you will ;)

I very much dislike the Debian Way for doing apache. ;) What I'd
rather is a layout such as this:
/etc/httpd/
/<config files for apache>
/modules/
/<spell>/
/<spell>/<config files for spell (e.g. php)>

Perhaps remove the /modules/ abstraction to just have
/etc/httpd/<spell>/.

Any package other than httpd that would like to install config files
will install them to /etc/httpd/modules (e.g. subversion, php, etc.)
and the user would have to add the proper "include modules/<conf
file>" to /etc/httpd/httpd.conf, rather than having extra
config_queries that ask the user if they want to enable it and having
symlinks and directories reminiscent of the /etc/rc.d days.

As for the DocumentRoot installation, I like the idea of not having
packages install themselves to Apache's default DocumentRoot
(/usr/share/apache{,2}/htdocs), and thus being accessible before the
admin might have the chance to properly configure and secure it (e.g.
php{my,pg}admin).

-sandalle