sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] ISO Release Procedure

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] ISO Release Procedure
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:24:01 -0800

Hello everyone,

Just to get this open for comment and out so everyone has an idea of what I'd
like to see for ISO releases, here's my "plan" for releasing ISOs.

1. Test ISOs are released by an ISO Team member (preferrably the one working
on
that release, e.g. Benoit for the 0.9.4 -test series) and posted to testing/
on
http://download.sourcemage.org/iso/ and announced to sm-discuss only (not
sm-announce).

2. Once a test ISO looks like it's getting ready for a final release, a Team
Lead (ISO Team Lead or Project Lead) will use the scripts in
//sgl/cauldron/devel to generate an -rc release for further testing (the first
-rc, -rc1, should be an exact copy of the last -test release) and announce to
sm-discuss and sm-announce (as well as posting to the testing/ directory).

3. Once an -rc is labeled as "bug free" (in that we get no more reports) a
Team
Lead (ISO Team Lead or Project Lead) will use the scripts in
//sgl/cauldron/stable (which will be branched from //sgl/cauldron/devel into
//sgl/cauldron/stable and //sgl/cauldron/release/<version> [e.g.
//sgl/cauldron/release/0.9.4/]) to generate a final release, post to
http://download.sourcemage.org/iso/ and announce to sm-discuss, sm-announce,
distrowatch.com, and any others we can think of.

And just to be clear on what's happening now we're currently focusing on using
the scripts in //sgl/cauldron/devel (the scripts currently maintained by
Benoit) to put out a 0.9.4 ISO (with all the bugs fixed from 0.9.3, along with
any others found during the 0.9.4 -test series) and once a 0.9.4 final is out
we can start looking into the -ng series (Karsten's work) and bringing in the
modular smgl.install (David's work).

Any questions?

-sandalle