sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New sorcery model proposal

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New sorcery model proposal
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:43:56 -0800

We're not all web-connecting our machines so we can't make this the
primary mode. But the energy saved compared to the whole shebang
(downloading just the kernel for example) is probably not going to be
all that great. It could be a feature for the future, although it would
be difficult to implement in practice. The dependency relationships are
in the spells themselves, so we'd either need to include those or call
fifty hits to our server for a single cast of gnome ok. They would need
to be downloaded before regular summoning because this data is needed in
the dependency resolution stage. We would especially need to know what
provide provisions in our provider logic.

Separately, I also don't like the idea of maintaining more than the two
or three versions we've got already. If you're out of date, update. If
you really need an older version (which might apply to one or two
packages out of eighty you have installed), use scribbler and/or spell
holding and/or downgrade the spell manually.

The more versions installable, the more complex the interrelationships
are, and with most things you would want to keep high availability and
thus hold the versions back you'll have to rely upon security updates
anyways, which the older versions would be immensely succeptible to. I
know we like to give the users choice, but should we really be
jeopardizing our own reputation by letting people install old possibly
unpatched software? The reason we don't have to patch so much is
because we prefer version updates to patching (although if updates
aren't available and there's no scheduled future release soon, I patch
them anyways).

Seth