sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New ivman spell

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <f.bridault AT fra.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New ivman spell
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:28:44 +0100

Le Mardi 21 Décembre 2004 18:27, vous avez écrit :
> Flavien Bridault wrote :
> > PGP verify signed message
> > gpg: Signature made tor 21 dec 2004 16:35:19 CET using DSA key ID
> > 0C6F3619 gpg: Good signature from "Flavien Bridault <f.bridault AT fra.net>"
> > gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature! gpg:
> > There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
> > Primary key fingerprint: 5665 7AFC 3CF4 42B3 4B14 4116 09C6 F108 0C6F
> > 3619 PGP verification success
> >
> > Hi people !
> >
> > I just want to say that I added ivman spell to the latest test grimoire.
> > Ivman is a daemon that allow automatic mounting of external devices. It
> > can be compared to supermount or submount, but it is totally in
> > userspace. It works well better as submount, which has some trouble with
> > KDE, although I didn't manage to find why exactly.
> >
> > Such a spell is only for lazy people like me. I'm convinced that it will
> > add some more magic power to my box ;-)
> > But I know that a lot of people think that automatic mounting is EVIL, so
> > feel free to still mount/umount your devices manually ;-)
> >
> > ++
>
> Yay... wanted this for a while... but was to lazy to get it going...
> so please do tell how does one get this going... be detailed.
> And I mean _*DETAILED*_

Well...
cast ivman
And it should just work. :-)
Note that smgl-messagebus, hald and ivmand scripts should have been started
(sorcery should have asked you that...)

ivmand uses the /etc/fstab entries to mount the devices. For example, you
insert a cdrom in /dev/hda, ivmand launch the command mount /dev/hda. So you
may have to edit the file /etc/ivman/IvmanConfigMappings.xml if you use
symlink in your /etc/fstab on your devices (like /dev/cdrom->/dev/hda). This
file is well commented. You have to indicate which real devices maps which
symlink.

This is the minimal configuration to get the stuff working. You can take a
look at the /etc/ivman/IvmConfigActions.xml to do more advanced things
(launch a dvd player when a dvd is inserted, etc...)

The USB sticks mounting are still under developpment... I guess they have to
deal with flushing the file system to the stick before the user savagely
removed it...

I hope I detailed enough ;-)

Shall I do a small WIKI page for this ?

--