sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] new linux spell

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Wolfgang Scheicher <worf AT sbox.tu-graz.ac.at>
  • To: David Brown <dmlb2000 AT excite.com>, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] new linux spell
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:05:01 +0100

Hello David, Hello fellow SourceMagers!

As some might have noticed, David recently joined the team to help me in
kernels section.

Since the linux spell needs some overhaul for a long time i'm very glad that
David is trying to do a rewrite. A fresh wind is blowing in kernels section!

A first working version of David's linux-new spell is submitted to devel.

We should now start a discussion about this. David is very motivated and has
lot of potential, but he is rather new, and doesn't know what problems we had
in the past years and also doesn't know what users expect from a linux spell.
( To be honest, i'm not too sure about that part either :-)

For my part, i find a lot of stuff i like in the new spell, but also there
are
some things i don't like or i think that they will cause problems. But i
might be wrong.
For example i really like the "Old tree/new tree" question at the beginning.
Very good idea.

But now for some things that i want to discuss:

*) The Number of Files
The spell does currently support a view -ac -mm -rc versions and the
bootsplash patch, and allready has ~150 files. i didn't first think this is
growing that fast, but this really is a lot. I wonder if this is acceptable,
or if it's too much.

However, i do think that it's a good idea to do a seperate file for every
patch version of other patches ( other than -pre, -ac, -mm, ... - like
bootspash, openmosix, bluez ,...) That part is a mess in my old design.

*) Updating,...
I'm wondering if it's really a good idea to hardcode every version you want
build. I think: if one wants a old version, he knows which one he wants. Also
sometimes one just reads a new kernel announcement and wants to build it
without waiting for the spell being updated. So, what does the Community say?
( I actually ponder if we eaven could additionally get info about current
kernel directly from kernel.org )

*) download integrity checking
kernel.org has most stuff gpg signed. the old linux spell used that where
possible, but this is something that should go into sorcery. the new spell
doesn't yet support this in any way, but i think we should not waste time
hacking gpg support into the spell again, but focus on getting it into
sorcery, and then using it in the linux spell.

There sure is a lot more to talk about, but this post is allready long enough.
Get the Discussion started!

Worf
[x] Against TOFU in SourceMage Mailinglists!