sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] chroot over ssh with pam_chroot

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] chroot over ssh with pam_chroot
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 01:08:19 +0100

Hi all,

I am currently trying to set up a chrooted environment for ssh
connections on my server. To achieve that I use the pam module
pam_chroot (a spell for it is in test) since my sshd uses pam.

It seems to work except that I get a "I have no name!" prompt because
the chroot doesn't manage to know what's the username (though echo $USER
returns fine). And this is a problem because the main purpose of this
chroot environment is to allow mail users to change their password on
the server (passwd won't work if the username is unknown!) among a few
other actions. (cp, mv etc...)

Please note that there is a etc/passwd in the chrooted directory.
Actually, just to test, I even copied everything which was on the
server's /etc into the chrooted directory but I still get the "I have no
name prompt!".
Also, I'm quite sure the problem is related to chroot itself and not to
the pam module which uses it, because I have this problem even when I
just chroot locally on the server.

I have no clue on what's going on here; the usual logs don't show
anything relevant and a strace of chroot didn't enlighten me either.
Please let me know if you have any idea.

Cheers,
Mathieu.